1. Adopt a 'set to break sets' - drive to break fixed patterns and mind-sets
2. Explore the 'givens' - re examine your assumptions
3. Broad picture, local detail - look at the bigger picture as well as 'zooming in'
4. Value play - we learned rapidly like this as children
5. Build up, don't knock down - say 'yes and..' not 'yes but…'
6. Live with looseness - allow a degree of ambiguity or uncertainty
7. It is already there, nurture it - remove the barriers and let it flourish
8. involve others - help develop each other's half-formed ideas
9. Connect and be receptive - be open to idea triggers from elsewhere
10. Know what you really want - be clear about motivation, objectives and content
11. Cycle often and close late - allow for iterations and avoid premature closure
12. Manage the process - pay attention to the 'cast', the 'stage' and the 'script'. If you can't do this find someone who can.